Many of the limitations faced by companies and workers only a few short decades ago are merely a vague memory today. Modern technology transforms our work environments in immeasurable ways.
A great advantage of modern innovation is the ability for companies to support remote workers. Employees welcome this flexibility and freedom for numerous reasons.
The Flexibility of Today’s Workforce
Today’s workforce includes many people who never step foot into the office of the company they work for. Coworking spaces allow business people to share offices (if only temporarily). Commitment to a full building or getting stuck in an expensive long-term lease is eliminated. Coffee shops, libraries, and even the home dining table have become workplaces of choice.
Some industries require salespeople, technicians, or other staff to work “in the field”. This isn’t new. But the ability for these workers to remain available and connected to “headquarters” is more convenient than ever.
5 Reasons to Allow Employees to Work Remotely
As remote work becomes more possible, the practical benefits to both the employees and their companies become increasingly evident. (For example, this research shows that productivity and creativity are hindered by the noise levels of typical open offices.)
- Save Time & Reduce Stress: When employees can work in locations that are convenient for them, the stress of the daily commute disappears. Time management becomes more effective for people who work closer to home, reducing the time spent in traffic or in unproductive travel time. Improved work-life balance is a bonus.
- Diversify Your Workforce: The pool of potential employees increases when you can accommodate the varied needs of long-distance employees, those without access to transportation for the long commute, single and/or work-from-home parents, or older workers wanting more freedom, etc.
- Minimize Your Costs: Operating costs add up fast – things like furniture, office equipment, energy bills, coffee room supplies, janitorial services, and basic office supplies. A remote workforce greatly reduces all of these expenses.
- Improve Productivity: By allowing staff to work in an environment without the usual interruptions of a typical office space, they can stay focused and get more work done. Working remotely can greatly diminish distractions.
- Reduce Employee Turnover: Job attrition rates are reduced by over 50% with the flexibility of working remotely (Source). Employee satisfaction increases with improved work-life balance, and people are generally more willing to work overtime.
How to Make Remote Work Possible
The biggest reason companies resist a remote workforce is the fear of an inability to communicate effectively. And effective communication is absolutely essential to a truly successful company!
The resources available to us today allow us to communicate almost anywhere at any time with anyone. With mobile phones, wireless internet access, video conferencing, laptop computers, cloud faxing, hosted phone systems, cloud computing, and countless applications and technological advances, your office is wherever you are.
For more information about how to set up your workforce to work remotely, contact a SelectCom specialist today.